Thursday, March 18, 2010

Yesterday's drive home, a personal digression from blogging as usual . . .

Yesterday, while political maneuvering ground on in Washington, deciding the fate of health care reform, it was finally beautiful and warm in my corner of the Shenandoah Valley. Looking out my office window at WMRA, I swear I could see the grass greening; perhaps, who knows, in honor of that greenest of Saints, Patrick, on his Day.

As I have to be on the air at 6:30 today, asking you to support WMRA, I drove home yesterday an hour earlier than usual. I'm a lucky person, in that my drive home is a pleasure. I live ten miles out in the country, northwest of Harrisonburg. There's no traffic sprawl in that direction. I leave work, cut through Old Town, stop at the grocery store and a half-mile later I'm driving a curvy two-lane road, heading out toward Little North Mountain, a fifty-mile ridge that rises out of my next door neighbor's fields.

Heretical though this may seem, yesterday it was simply too pretty a day after too dreary a winter to listen to the news driving home. I flipped to an oldies station. And there, like a gift from something, somewhere, was the glorious Gladys Knight singing her heart out; backed up, as always, by the great and grooving Pips.
He's leaving
(Leaving)
On that midnight train to Georgia
(Leaving on a midnight train)
Said he's going back
(Going back to find)
To find a simpler place and time
(Whenever he takes that ride, guess who's gonna be right by his side)
I'll be with him
(I know you will)
On that midnight train to Georgia
(Leaving on a midnight train to Georgia, woo woo)
I'd rather live in his world,
(Live in his world)
Than live without him in mine
(World, world, is his and hers alone)
It struck me I'd that been listening to that song, lip-syncing, pretending to be a Pip, for almost four decades. And here it was again on this beautiful spring afternoon, keeping me company on the way home.

For a moment, my whole life seemed a gift, a joy. I guess you could say I was happy. And this morning, I guess I just want to pass it along.

Last night's reception committee at home

Note: It is the spring fundraiser. Please support WMRA at 1-800-677-9672 or on-line. And thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment