Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Big Hits: The Reality of Football . . .a personal essay by Jason Barr

Martha note: There's a tremendous amount of news coverage these days (including on NPR)   about devastating head injuries incurred while playing football. I'm with Jason; I'm a football fan, both college and pro. But his essay made me think hard about what being a football fan really means.


It’s that time of year again: football season. I enjoy watching the NFL as much as the next person, and in our household, a Thanksgiving without the distant cheers of a stadium in the background is just plain, well, weird.


Even so, I have a different reaction to football. More and more, it seems, players are going for the “big hit,” the crushing blow of the opponent that will end up on the highlight reels, increase their name recognition, increase their marketability, and even their monetary value.

If I speak in business terms, I do that on purpose: football, like any other sport, is a business, and, perhaps more than any American sport, the players are very aware of the business of selling themselves. When we see replay after replay, or go onto YouTube and watch, in slow motion, a brutal collision, we remember the player’s name. Some of us will cheer for him just a little more loudly; others will buy his jersey after his reputation as a “hard hitter” is established.

When there is a hard hit, though, I have the opposite reaction from many others: while they are cheering and high fiving and watching replay after replay, I can’t help but look away.

As a child, I was fascinated by football. I would sit in one chair, my father in the one beside me, and we would watch the players. I basically discerned the rules on my own about downs and penalties and the line of scrimmage and so on—you simply didn’t interrupt my father during a football game.

I would check out books from the library and read about the great football players: Elroy “Crazy Legs” Hirsch, Knute Rockne, Jim Brown, Raymond Berry, Johnny Unitas. These players seemed larger than life: people who went out on the field, and gave it everything they had. It was a sport. Though football at the time was a far more brutal sport, it was highly glamorized and sterilized for the consumption of a child.

As a result, I decided to put my gangly, six foot four, one hundred and fifty pound frame to the test: I joined the junior varsity football squad at a local high school. I quickly discovered that football was far less than fun to play, when I managed to play at all.

Most of my brief two-year football career consisted of seeing or experiencing hazing, bullying, and sometimes sexual harassment, on both the part of the coaches and the players. I still clearly remember one coach stomping on my hand and pushing into the mud—it had rained all day that day—during stretching exercises. When I told him I’d rather quit the team, he poured a cup of Gatorade over my head. Stupidly, I stayed on the team and earned myself a few concussions along the way.

This isn’t sour grapes, though, this is reality. Go to a high school football game. Watch the players closely: many of them aren’t playing the sport of football; rather, they are doing the same thing their modern idols are doing: looking for the big hit. With the current emphasis in the NFL on preventing concussions, I have to wonder how we managed to get into this situation to begin with: one of the first rules players should be taught is to look at the person you’re tackling. It may not be the glamorous, pad cracking, jaw dropping hit, but it keeps your head up so you don’t get a concussion making the tackle. With our current spate of famous (or infamous) players in the NFL, I wonder if coaches in high schools and colleges have simply stopped teaching this simple rule, and themselves, congratulate the “big hits.”

Again, I continue to be a big fan of football, and I still enjoy watching the game on the big screen, especially when snow is falling outside and something is cooking in the oven. It’s classic Americana, and I’m not immune to it.

But there is something darker lurking in the background that makes football a more problematical pleasure for me these days: There are thousands of children watching the same game. For them, it is less a sport and more of a celebrity show. I hope, somewhere along the way, their parents or guardians or siblings balance out the glamour of the game with a heavy dose of the reality that exists away from the camera.


--Jason Barr, who won First Place in WMRA's Short, Short Story Contest, teaches at Blue Ridge Community College.

7 comments:

  1. I wonder if some of the difference is that the player delivering the hit no longer feels it to the degree that they would have 20 years ago. Our technology may make hitting to hard hurt less, and therefore less of a problem for the player. If they were playing in leather helmets or no helmets, they would probably feel the hit a lot more than they do now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings to the general public, i want to inform the public how i was cured of HERPES Simplex Virus by a Doctor called Dr. Iyere. i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Doctor Iyere cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, i am a free person now without problem, my HERPES result came out negative. I pray for you Dr. Iyere God will give you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being a sincere and great men. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any problem Email (iyerenaturalroots.herbal@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me and my team was in search of a rarely found platform which can help us for our new assignment. We are writers and its been a long time we are in this writing field. So we would appreciate help of this blog. ncaa college football

    ReplyDelete
  4. Share great information about your blog , Blog really helpful for us . We read your blog , share most useful information in blog . Thanks for share your blog here .
    เล่นบอล

    ReplyDelete
  5. The doctors said Herpes virus do not have medical cure because the virus is capable of hiding within the human cells, it remains protected from your immune system. Herpes isn’t a special virus – your immune system has the tools to fight it back. But because it is able to lay dormant in protected cells, your immune system is unable to remove it from your body,But with strong reactive herbal medication is capable of getting rid of the virus gradually and totally from your body without damaging any of your cells,natural herbs kills the virus totally not just reducing the out break. Get natural herbs cure Email DR. VOODOO at voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 61 years old. I contracted hpv in 2011' I has be taking lot treatment for it and embarrassed some months ago the wart stated coming out seriously, I used lot recommendation because there was lot warts around my anus and was so . but today I'm totally happy I got the virus eliminated by using natural treatment from Dr voodoo herbal center after his treatment I got cured. all the warts went away' seriously believed Dr. voodoo he have the cure for human papillomavirus because he has eliminated hpv been in my body since 2011, Dr. voodoo make it possible for me. Here is Dr. voodoo email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or WhatsApp him via +2348140120719 he is welled capable of curing terrible diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  7. +1 (901) 878-9747
    GET REGISTERED JAB CARD AT AFFORDABLE PRICES, WE PRODUCE AND GIVE OUT REGISTERED COVID CARDS #BUY JAB CARDS BUY CDC COVID-19 VACCINATION CARD GET JAB CARD #OBTAIN JAB CARD BUY CANADIAN DIGITAL COVID-19 CERTIFICATE +1 (901) 878-9747
    UK registered vaccine passports available, completely legitimate passes on the NHS app for sale. App includes PDF travel documents also. Booster jabs are done automatically with an assigned date which can be changed if needed. 5 days until active on your NHS app. If anyone is interested do not hesitate to ask me any questions. We produce a verified registered cdc covid-19 vaccination cards that can enable you travel or present at your job side buy registered covid19 vaccination cards at affordable prices EU Digital COVID passport NHS Covid-19 vaccination :syringe: EU Digital COVID passport EU Digital COVID passport Get your fake vaccination record cards Buy covid-19 test kits at home at lower prices home covid-19 testing kits Buy FDA-authorized home collection kits for rapid covid-19 home test at $100 buy DxTerity COVID-19 Saliva At-Home Collection Kit at$100 Buy Everlywell COVID-19 Test Home Collection Kit at $105 Buy Pixel by Labcorp COVID-19 PCR Test Home Collection Kit at $120 Buy BinaxNOW COVID-19 Antigen Self Test at $50 Buy covid-19 vaccine record card online without taking the vaccine Buy covid-19 vaccine record card online, for now, the best way to show that you have been inoculated against the corona virus is a simple white card #Buy covid-19 vaccination card online# Covid-19 vaccine record card for sale in USA paper COVID-19 vaccination ID is a verified , physical evidence of your individual vaccination status, complete with sophisticated anti counterfeit technology to ensure authenticity and peace of mind +1 (901) 878-9747
    BUY CANADIAN DIGITAL COVID-19 CERTIFICATE+1 (901) 878-9747
    Purchase COVID vaccine passports in Australia, Buy coronavirus vaccine passport in UK +1 (901) 878-9747

    CALL/TEXT: +1 (901) 878-9747

    WHATSAPP: +1 (901) 878-9747





    ReplyDelete