Wednesday, April 14, 2010

On the road again . . .


Yesterday afternoon I drove from Harrisonburg to Farmville -- via Gordonsville and Dillwyn and points in between. It was over the mountains and through the woods of springtime Virginia, on the bluest of blue-line highways. There was not a McDonald's or a Wal-Mart or a mall around for mile after mile after mile.

My mission? To sit in on 5 classes on essay writing at Longwood University today beginning at 8 AM, so all I have time to do in this short, very early-morning post is wonder at the beauty of yesterday's getting from there to here.

It always seems to me that there is one day every spring when the new leaves are there, yet not fully out. On that one day, Virginia's trees are decked out in every imaginable shade of green. On that day, to my way of being, all we have to do to feel lucky to be alive is open our eyes.

Yesterday was that day--the annual celebration of springtime green. And, in my opinion, there was no luckier person in the world than this one who had to drive from Harrisonburg to Farmville through Virginia's springtime woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment